After becoming compatible with the Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 thanks to the new firmware for the receiver, Canon's top DSLRs in this year Canon EOS 5DS and Canon EOS 5DS R now achieve full compatibility with Tamron and Sigma lenses. Firmware updates for lenses of these manufacturers have to do with working in the Live View mode, since there were problems in this aspect when combining with the 5DS and 5DS R.
Namely, Tamron announced that autofocus does not operate in the Live View mode for six of its lens models when they are paired with the 5DS/5DS R. As for Sigma, these Canon DSLRs do not function at all in the Live View mode when certain Sigma lenses are mounted. Both of these manufacturers claim that lenses shipped after May 11, 2015 are not affected by the issue.
This spring, the other two DSLRs produced by Canon this year - Canon EOS Rebel T6s and Canon EOS Rebel T6i - had similar problems with these lenses; however, the solution was arrived at quickly with firmware update. Thus, new firmware versions for problematic lenses are already available. Owners of affected Tamron and Sigma lenses are advised to consult their local authorized service center so that these irregularities would be eliminated as soon as possible.
The lens models with which this issue occurs are the following:
- Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - (Model A012)
- Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - (Model A009)
- Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD - (Model A011)
- Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 VC USD Macro - (Model F004)
- Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro - (Model B016)
- Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - No. 12651501 or later
- Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM - No. 13044001 or later
- Sigma APO 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM - No. 12713001 or later
- Sigma APO 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM - No. 12902001 or later
- Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports - No. 50064494 ~ 50347793
- Sigma APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM - No. 12669751 or later
- Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM - No. 12665001 or later
- Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM - No. 12851001 or later
- Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM - No. 12656101 or later
- Sigma APO 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - No. 12839001 or later
- Sigma APO 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM - No. 12676440 or later
- Sigma APO 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM - No. 12971601 or later
Sigma states that this issue may also arise with models that are not on this list if those lenses have been serviced at some point in time, so they also need their firmware updated.